Mix together in a large bowl and make a well:
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves
Add in to well:
- 2½ cups cooked and puréed pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup pecans or other nuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins or chocolate chips
Mix just until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
Pour batter into two greased 9×5 inch loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven at 350°F until toothpick inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Muffin variation: Pour batter into greased muffin tins. Bake 15 minutes.